Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Become an Organ Donor

I'd like to quickly say a few words about the Organ Donor program, something that is particularly close to my heart.

It's important to remember that Ben would not have been given this fantastic opportunity if it wasn't for an organ donor. Over 2000 men, women and children are listed on transplant lists across Australia, many of whom die waiting for an organ to become available. Ben was just one in a list of many and one who fortunately was lucky.

Pulmonary Fibrosis is a critical illness, one that is not curable. His condition pre-transplant was extremely critical. After being on the waiting list for almost 6 months, and his condition deteriorating rapidly, it was obvious that time was something Ben had little of. And then we received the phone call.. something that will no doubt change our lives forever.

Medicare Australia have become quite active in promoting Organ Donor awareness in the recent years, even promoting an awareness week which this year took place on Feb 17 - 24. However, even still the number of registed donors is quite low with over 20 million Australians NOT on the 'consent' list. It is not enough just to say "YES" on your licence, you need to officially register to participate!

I've visited the ICU ward, I've talked to many Doctors & Nurses involved with organ transplants.. I've spoken to the families of recipients and heard the stories myself.. and most importantly I am lucky enough to see the whole process carried out before my eyes with my father, Ben. Being an organ donor is an opportunity to give the gift of "life" to another! What could you do that would be more rewarding?

Register to become an Organ Donor by clicking this link OR by calling 1800 777 203.

Remember.. one donor can save up to 10 lives!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben and family

Sounds like you are doing really well, keep up the fantastic work. You have all been on my mind every day and I love being able to keep up with the news via the blogspot - you are doing a great job Paul. Hope everything keeps on going as well as you hope and that you will be able to leave ICU ASAP.
Love Marian

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

Belatedly I wish you a very happy birthday. I am sure that your father's excelent progress is the best present you could have had.

I am also glad that you made the point about becoming a donor. Both Maureen and I are registered as donors and I want all the family to know this, so that there will be no complications with consent.

Give Ben our love and best wishes.

Rob