Monday, May 29, 2006

Monday - Could it be the Best Birthday Present Ever?

Ben's birthday is on the 1st June (this Thursday), for those of you who didn't already know, and it looks like, with a little bit of luck, that he might be released from hospital! The Doctors are confident that if everything goes to plan over the next 2-3 days Ben will be released from hospital on his birthday, fantastic news!

His rehab programme consists of three vital things.. exercise, diet and education. At the end of his stint in hospital he'll have to be self sufficient in these areas. At this stage he's been educated on all things from what to eat, what drugs he is taking and when, what exercises to do, what the signs of rejection/innfection are, etc. This education is vital to him staying fit and healthy and not returning back to hospital anytime soon.

Today his exercise regime increased from 20 mins on the bike to 25 minutes, still both morning and afternoon. He's also doing weights to build up strength in his shoulders and arms. Overall he's seeing the benefits with him commenting that he's much more mobile than he was 3-4 days ago. He's walking totally unassisted (no frame or oxygen) with better stability and ease than he was and in general, he's just not getting puffed out the way he use to. It's amazing to see how far he has come.

Once he leaves hospital he'll still have to return twice a week, both Monday and Thursday for a check up. The visit will involve a blood test, breathing test, chest xray, visit to his consulting doctor. Over time he'll be visiting less frequently as he gets better.

It's great news and as he's getting better life for all of us is finding some nomality again at last. I'll keep you posted on further developments.

8 comments:

Christine said...

wow what an amazing and difficult time you've had. best of luck to you both!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!!! What a great birthday present that would be for Ben (and everyone else!). Ben, you are amazing with what you have achieved - what an effort.

Talk to you soon,

Karyn, Tony & Sean. xxxx

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Glenda and I are rapted that all is well. We have been watching this site every day like a soapie.
Fantasic
Ian Bennetts

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben,

We haven't stopped being amazed at the remarkable progress you have been making since the operation. No doubt some of the Brian determination has helped with this, although we must also give the surgeons their due. You seem to have been given a whole new lease of life and I am sure you will make the most of it. Your experience has brought home so graphically once again that we are here on this earth for only a relatively short period of time. Life is so precious and we must try to enjoy every moment of it. I hope that things will keep on improving and that you will once more enjoy an excellent way of living. All the very best for your 59th birthday. We'll be thinking especially of you on 1 June. Celebrate in style!

Love and best wishes, also from Maureen,

Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben and everybody,
What a wonderful report! I had not checked in for a few days and it seems as though you were talking about a completely different person. I so happy to hear that you have your zest for life back again.
Whether you get home for your birthday or not, have a wonderful one. There is a card on its way to the hospital so I hope it gets to you. I assume it will be sent home if you are not there. Whatever happens please know that I am so very happy for you all.
Love,
Marian

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben,
I don't know if my comment got to you so I am doubling up with this one. As you can see I am not up with all this new technology, but I do try.
I am amazed with your progress and hope that you have a wonderful birthday to celebrate your new zest for life.
There is a card on the way to the hospital (I had assumed that you would be there for weeks yet), so I hope they will send it home if you do get out before it arrives. Whatever happens, you now can look forward to a better quality of life with your family.
All my love
Marian

Anonymous said...

well done Ben and a very happy birthday to you on thursday!
Theresa xx

Anonymous said...

Hello Ben. My birthday is also June 1 - a belated Happy Birthday to you. What an amazing gift you received. I just found your site today & will check it often. I am in the process of being diagnosed with a lung ailment. At this time, it is suspected to be obliterative bronchiolitis (rheumatoid arthritis related). It is quite shocking, and I am afraid, but doing all I can to remain positive and take care of myself. We can't confirm the diagnosis via biopsy or bronchoscopy due to my poor lung function at the time (22%). But I'm hopeful. Your experience is an inspiration to me. Thank you.