Monday, August 14, 2006

Hip Hop

Good evening all.

Had my regular visit to Prince Charles Hospital today. All results were good but I seem to have a cold which, hopefully, won't develop into anything further. My left hip has been playing up quite badly for a couple of weeks now and Dr Peter Hopkins has finally agreed that the time has come for a hip replacement. The condition is known as Avascular Necrosis, a break down of the bone tissue of the femur (thighbone) and the acetabulum (pelvis) due the long term use of Corticosteroids (prednisolone in my case). Anyway, I was referred to Dr Scott Crawford, Orthopaedic Surgeon, and he has me booked in for hip replacement surgery at Prince Charles on Thursday 7th September.

Yes I know I'll feel better in the long term but I have to admit I'm not really looking forward to surgery again just four months after the lung transplant. However, if I don't have it the whole femur could shatter and I'd be in worse trouble.

The artist Peter J Hill, who painted "Lemon Orchid", (refer 3rd August entry) the painting we hoped to purchase as a tenth anniversary gift to the Queensland Lung Transplant unit, phoned me today. He had just returned from a trip to outback Queensland and said the "Lemon Orchid" had been sold but he'd be happy to paint another similar painting if we're interested. I explained we'd decided to raise some money first and then see what we can buy. Somehow I don't think it will be a painting. Pity, because Peter sounded like a really nice guy (you know he's nearly 70?) and he paints some amazing stuff. Take a look at his website (http://www.pjart.com/index.htm).
By the way, I have no financial interest in Peter's business nor am I on a commission.

Flyers to transplant patients, discussing the tenth anniversary and requesting donations towards a gift, were sent out last Thursday (10th August) so we're hoping we'll get a good response. My son Paul designed the flyer and did a fantastic job. Have a look at it here!

On the bright side, Janyne and I are off to Noosa for a couple of days and catching up with some friends from Melbourne.

Yes, the Porsche Boxter is definitely for sale and is advertised at Carsales.com.au. We've discovered we really only need one car anyway and the money could be better used elsewhere. If you know anyone who may be interested, please send details via the "comments" section of this blog.

Talk again soon.

Bye,

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben,

I was pleased to read of your progress. I had not seen the blog for a while. I have sent a donation to Glenda towards the gift. I think this is an excellent idea. I think it is a better use of the money than sending you flowers, which I had thought of doing at one stage.

Keep up the good progress. I hope the hip replacement is also a great success.

I look forward to seeing you and all the family in September together with Marian. I am pretty busy at the moment with eight performances of Gilbert & Sullivan's 'The Yeomen of the Guard'. It is great fun and helps to keep me young!

All the very best,

Rob