Monday, September 04, 2006

Four months on

Today, 4th September, it is exactly four months since I received my new lungs and I must say that I am still amazed at how well I feel. Given the tragic death today of Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, it just brings home the fact that we can leave this earth at any time regardless of status, age, or creed so we must make the most of every day.

Feeling a tad nervous (make that "very") as I am back in hospital on Wednesday afternoon for hip replacement surgery on Thursday morning. Countless people have assured me that, compared to my lung transplant, this should be a breeze, yet I am feeling more anxious now than when I was being wheeled into the operating theatre for that. I guess I have had more time to think about it. Anyway, I will try to adopt my old adage that "nothing is as bad as it seems" and find myself feeling fighting fit in a few weeks.

Thank you to all who have contributed to the tenth anniversary gift, particularly to the relatives and friends of transplantees (thanks Rob and Liz). We have finally decided to purchase a fountain (read "wishing well" - YES we've gone the full circle). We managed to find a beautiful example and when the retailer found out what it was for, he reduced the price from $3,300 to $2,500. I think we'll exceed this sum by 22nd September so should have enough to cover the cost of a plaque and installation. We hope to place it in the lawns abutting the new wing currently being constructed at Prince Charles Hospital and use "wishing" coins to fund ongoing transplant and organ donor awareness. I'll get some photos to you in the next couple of days.

Rebecca, thanks for your email clarifying your medical condition. I am guessing that you live in the US and I trust medical technology there will find you a drug which will halt the fibrosis and give you and your daughter the opportunity to take that trip to Europe. I think of you often and hope things improve soon.

This is me with our neighbour's new puppy, Patch. He is a great little dog and we love "doggysitting" him when Suzanne goes out but I don't think I am keen to have one of our own as yet. The good thing is we can give him back at the end of the day. However, Janyne still misses Selby terribly so we may revisit this issue when I am fit and well again after surgery.

Time goes by so quickly and I keep forgetting to update this blog as often as I should. Paul will, no doubt, keep you abreast of my progress post hip replacement until I am back on deck in a week or two.

In the meantime, take care.

Ben

No comments: