Thursday, February 01, 2007

Time flies when.........

Hello all,

It has been a long time since I last posted something on this site. Almost two months. In the meantime we have seen Christmas and New Year's come and go so I hope you all had a great time and continue to keep your New Year's resolutions.

I had seriously thought about discontinuing this blog as life is pretty much normal these days depending on your definition of normal. However due to overwhelming demand (at least three people have encouraged me to continue) I have decided to go on. Some feedback would be nice.
When my son Paul first started this site, it was to keep family and friends informed about my progress immediately following my bi-lateral lung transplant. It saved Janyne a lot of time on the 'phone and meant she wasn't repeating herself when people rang. It also ensured that the same story was being told to all interested parties.

Longer term, many of you have found it useful in understanding life following major surgery and I know for some, it has provided comfort that the experiences they are going through are "normal" post transplant. There are physical changes or conditions which are directly related to the new organ or indirectly, due to medication. It is a never ending process of trial and error with medication, of managing risk of infection without becoming so afraid that one becomes a hermit, and then there is the emotional side.

For me that is a bit like a roller coaster ride. Some days up and others down, just like most people I guess. Now most of you who haven't experienced major life saving surgery following severe illness would think that life is a ball when one is given a second chance at it and cannot understand that one would feel depressed at any time. Yet it is my experience in talking to others and to Medical Professionals that this is a common symptom amongst transplantees and needs to be addressed. To be honest, I have had those feelings for some time and they make one become lethargic, lazy even, (hence my delay in updating this blog) where one would rather stay in bed (metaphorically speaking) than get up and face the day. Small problems become large ones and there are also genuine concerns about finances and worries about fitness, weight and future medical procedures.

One solution I feel, is to work on one's fitness. I have put on some six kilograms in the past two months (too much food and wine over the festive season and not enough exercise). I haven't exercised as much as I used to due to chest pains which seem to manifest themselves as soon as I do something strenuous. Also, with my left leg now slightly shorter that the right leg, walking long distances is more difficult and tiring. In addition, I haven't been able to use my exercise bike post hip replacement until recently.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. "Enough!" I said to myself last week. "If I want to feel better, I have to work at it". So I'm back on the exercise bike, walking a bit more, doing some weights and I have to admit that I am starting to feel better.

My goal is to get back to 80 kilos and turn some flab into muscle. No doubt the partial wrap fundoplication I will be having next Thursday 8th February (to fix the reflux problem) will help as I will be on "mushy" foods for a number of weeks post surgery and likely to feel "full" with less food intake.(http://www.simonwoods.com.au/reflux.html) Hopefully I will be able to continue my exercise program.

The next step for me is to get the transplant group registered (yes, I haven't even bothered with this, tut, tut!) and get some commitment from the Prince Charles Hospital administration in relation to placement of the water feature we purchased as an anniversary present in September and have held in storage pending completion of renovations at the hospital.

In the meantime, our new "puppy" Cindy is growing up but a delight to have around and all is well with the family. Not looking forward to Thursday but I am sure it won't be too bad and recovery will be swift. I will let you know how it all goes.

Until then, take care.
Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben,

Thanks for updating the blog. It is a good way to keep in touch and find out how you are geting on without your having to repeat the same thing many times. Cindy IS cute [even though I can live happily without dogs - like Dad!]. I hope all goes well for next Thursday. I know that life cannot be easy for you, but it still beats the alternative, doesn't it? I, too, have to keep on working on keeping fit and it is easy to get lazy and not do as much exercise as I should. I do try to swim every day.

We are off to Norfolk Island today, but the flight that was due to leave Sydney at 3:10pm has now been delayed to 7:00pm. Apparently, there is some bad weather up there. We hope it will not be a week of rain. Ah well, we have some good books and cards. I am sure we will manage to relax somehow.

Give our love and best wishes to all the family.

All the best,

Rob