Saturday, July 01, 2006

8 weeks on

It's now eight weeks since transplant and I'm feeling great. Thursday's hospital visit involved two blood tests, a lung function test and x-ray all showing positive results. Miraculously, we were out of there at around 11.00 am (normally mid-afternoon) with my next visit being 10th July so next week is a free week. Popped in to see my long term lung Physician, Dr Glenn Rice-McDonald on Wednesday. His face just beamed when he saw me. It must be rewarding to see a patient you have cared for for four years doing so well after transplant. Also visited my GP of 18 years, Dr John Golder, and he had the same reaction. Couldn't believe how well I looked. Even his staff commented.

Finishing early on Thursday gave us the opportunity to have lunch with our daughter, Jacqui, and we visited her at work in the city. She works for Great Southern Securities, the company to which I was contracted for about 12 years. Those of my ex-colleagues who were there and who last saw my when I was ill and 105 kilos, were amazed at how much weight I had lost (76 kilos at last count) and how well I looked. Most had only seen me after I contracted the lung problem. In fact everywhere I go people are surprised at how well I look and how much happier and more positive I am.

I feel truly blessed and everyday, privately, I thank the organ donor and his/her family for the gift of life I have. I had forgotten just how well I could feel having been ill for so long and it really is an awesome feeling. Not sure I believe in miracles but when one considers that someone else's lungs are living and breathing inside of me, and one looks at the people, the science, skills and technology that makes such a thing possible, it really is miraculous.

Still want to hear from the GICU people especially the two Cathies and Ross. Hope my "comments" option is working.

Be in touch next week.

Cheers,

Ben

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your comments are working too! Oooh it is!! = )

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, it's great to hear you are doing so well and living life to the full. Sorry haven't been in contact with you as I have been on holiday in Townsville with the family. Which we thoroughly enjoyed. Now the entire family is freezing because we got used to 26 degree heat and come home to 14 degrees:( so we now all have colds! However, I managed to dig out the recipe for the dahl for you.
Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
8 baby desiree potaotes, quartered
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
500 ml (2 cups) water
1 tbs tomato paste
1 1/2 cups of red lentils
80 g baby spinach leaves
Destructions
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and potato and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the cumin and coriander and cook stirring for another minute making sure the potatoes are coated or until aromatic whichever comes first. Add the water and the tomato paste and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and add the lentils to the mixture and cook for 20 minutes. Finally, add the spinach after it has cooked and stir trhough until the spinach is just wilted. Hint: Serve with fresh garlic bread makes a yummy appetiser!
Hope that helps. As I said very easy to make and gluten free as well!
Ross

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben.. I foudn teh right recipe. Please disregard the previous one I was working off memory and that is failing as time goes by. Here is the dhal that I cooked for you in ICU. Have included the recipe for garlic and cheese naan bread. I know it is dairy but maybe Janyne can work around it??? Enjoy

Spinach and potato dhal


Ingredients

2 tbs olive oil
1 large brown onion, halved, finely chopped
1 tbs curry powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
3 (about 450 g) coliban pototes, cut into 1 cm pieces
210 g ( 1 cup) red lentils
685 ml ( 2 ¾ cups) water
3 tspn Massei vegetable stock powder 1 bunch English spinach , ends trimmed, washed and coarsely chopped

Instructions

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the curry powder, cumin, and coriander and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
Add the potato to the spice mixture and stir to coat. Add the lentils, water and stock powder and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until potato is just tender.
Add the spinach to the potato mixture and cook, stirring occasionally. For 5 -7 minutes or until the spinach wilts and potato is tender. Spoon into serving bowls and serve immediately with garlic and cheese naan.

Garlic and cheese naan


Ingredients

2 tbs olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1x 250g pkt of naan bread
2-3 tbs cottage cheese

Instructions
Combine the oil and garlic in a small bowl. Brush both sides of the naan bread with the oil mixture.
Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Spread half of the cottage cheese over 1 piece of naan bread and top with another piece of naan bread. Repeat with remaining cottage cheese and naan bread.
Place 1 naan sandwich in the pan and gently press with an egg lift. Cook for 2 -3 minutes each side or until golden brown and heate4d through. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining naan sandwich. Cut the naan sandwiches in half and sever with spinach and potato dhal.
Once again, great to hear you are doing so well.
Ross