Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sore hip? What sore Hip?

Good day all,

As mentioned last time, I had an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon at Prince Charles Hospital today as I was concerned that I was still experiencing considerable pain in my left hip yet it is nearly seven weeks since the total hip replacement surgery. Others I know are walking around without an aid after this time.

After a thorough examination and x-ray, it seems there is nothing abnormal. It is just taking a little longer for the wound to heal properly and for stiffness to ease. I need to be more patient.

Saw an x-ray picture of my "new" hip for the first time. Fascinating and quite amazing that such a small ball and socket can support my weight without snapping (at least I hope it can). Could also see the wires which attach the muscle back to the bone post surgery. When you see the amount of original bone which has been cut out, it really makes one marvel at medical technology and the skill levels of the modern surgeon.

I did discover that my left leg appears to be very slightly shorter than the right but it shouldn't present a problem. Hopefully when the muscle in the left thigh returns to normal it might rectify itself. Also discovered that, in Queensland at least, it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle for the first three months after hip replacement. Not only would my insurance company be able to avoid any claim in that time but I wouldn't be covered by third party insurance and in the event of causing injury to others, could be sued for up to $6,000,000. OUCH!

Looks like 7th December before I can get back behind the wheel. (Hope I haven't forgotten how to drive by then). In the meantime my chauffeur's (Janyne's) driving skills have improved dramatically with all the running around she does for me. I am truly a lucky man.

Replies to my Lung Transplantee Association questionnaire are coming in with very positive comments. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks as this idea progresses towards reality.

Talk again soon,

Take care,

Ben

No comments: