Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Must be the drugs!

Good evening all,

Had my visit to the outpatients clinic yesterday and everything seems to be OK. Lung function was down a little but still at 102% of expectations so who's worried? Changed the blood pressure tablets so that my legs won't fill up with fluid. Not as much anyway. Reduced prednisolone to 12.5mg per day. No change to other anti-rejection drugs.

Still suffering some pain in the left hip and I thought after six weeks I'd be better than I am. So Dr Hopkins suggested I see my orthopedic surgeon, Dr Scott Crawford, and I'm back there tomorrow. Hopefully I'm just impatient and there's nothing really wrong.

Must admit to not feeling too well today. Don't know what it is but feeling run down and tired. Feel like I'm getting a cold that never manifests itself. Must be the drugs I'm taking. That's one of the problems post lung transplant as many of you will know. The body can react in the most unexpected way to both physical and emotional changes and it is usually a change in the medication we take that starts the ball rolling. As Dr Peter Hopkins once said (well he's probably said it many times) Lung Transplants aren't easy!

A little sad too the poor Glenda who has done so much to support lung transplantees in Queensland, is back in hospital and facing further surgery. I know those of you who know her will join me in wishing her all the very best. Just another reminder that a lung transplant is not a cure but an opportunity to extend one's life. Almost everyone will have further problems in his/her post transplant life, some worse than others. The key is to make the best of the good times and be confident that the bad times will pass and that, with the Queensland Lung Transplant Unit, we have the best health care possible.

Starting to get some early responses to our letter last week concerning the formation of an Association of Lung Transplantees in Queensland; all positive so far. Expect the rest of the week will be busy answering questions and looking over questionnaires. At least we're moving.

Experiencing some resistance to the Water Feature gift as expected. Some in administration at the Prince Charles Hospital simply feel that the new wing can't accommodate it. Anyway, I hope to meet with the hierarchy soon to resolve any issues. I'm not giving up on this.

Rebecca, I hope you're OK.

Cheers for now,
Ben

No comments: