Sunday, February 11, 2007

If I lay here

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?


Heard this song first on "Grey's Anatomy" on the final program of the season 2006 and it has been on my mind ever since. In fact I'm watching a repeat as I write. Obviously a prequel to the new season. As you know there is a certain affinity between me and hospitals and, although my son Paul thinks the show is crap, for me it brings back a lot of memories.

Just yesterday, my daughter Jacqui was visiting and playing a game, "Zuma", on my laptop. I was having a rest in bed at the time and in a half daze could hear various tones emanating from the computer as she played the game and it sounded just like the tones emitted by the respirator keeping me alive in my early days in intensive care immediately post transplant. It was like waking up to (not from) a nightmare. The pitch went higher as she "crashed" more balls and so would the pitch on my lung machine until finally, the air would expel inside my lungs (she's missed the balls) and the tone immediately lowered only to rise again with the next "breath". The mind works in mysterious ways.

I think all of us at times find life so difficult that we would like to just lie down with the one we love and let the world go by.

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life


Problem is we can't forget, we do what we're told, and the only garden that can burst into life is the one we create. Have to say, my little garden IS bursting into life. Had a great day today and did something nice for someone who really appreciated it. It's always good to do something nice.

I don't know where
Confused about how as well
Just know that these things
Will never change for us at all


Got no idea what those words mean to the song writer but I'd disagree in that I do believe we CAN change things is we want to. Just got to make some effort.

Anyway I'm rambling and feeling emotional so I'd better shut up and go to bed. Just blame it on my medication. Phil, hope things go well tomorrow.

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben,

I am so glad that things are looking up again. Maureen and I were away for a week on Norfolk Island. [We had a fabulous time!] We only got back on Sunday and it is taking me a lot of time to get through all my email. Thus it is that I have only just caught up with all your latest news. I must say that I am quite moved by what you write. You have become quite a philosopher and it seems to me that your perspective on life has, understandably, undergone a profound change. I hope all goes well on the 15th. You are in our thoughts and prayers. All the very best,

Rob