Sunday, February 18, 2007

Just before Grey's returns

Hi all,

Grey's Anatomy is back tonight, in just a half hour. 60 minutes is on at present so I'll quickly bring you up to date.

Health wise I am improving again but still experimenting with Tacrolimus following my transfer from Cyclosporin. Levels have been too low and I am now taking 8mg twice daily up from 4mg a couple of weeks ago. In the meantime my prednisolone intake is falling and I'm at 30mg per day reducing to 7.5mg/10mg over the next couple of weeks.

Boring stuff I agree but the underlying concern is that we need to stabilise my medication in readiness for my "half Nissen Fundoplication" early next month. My Doctors are almost certain that rejection and infection is being caused by chronic reflux yet we need to reduce some medication which reduces reflux prior to surgery. So it's the classic "chicken and egg" story but the general consensus is that we manage the situation as best we can, bite the bullet and go ahead with the surgery as scheduled. The sooner the reflux problem is fixed, the less likely I am to suffer rejection and infection and finally I can get on with things.

So that means back to weekly visits to Prince Charles Hospital for tests and balancing the medications as required. I have to admit that my transfer to tacrolimus has its side effects. Moods, particularly bad tempers, are hard to control, sleep is very much disturbed and when I do sleep I have some very strange dreams bordering on scary. Hopefully, as my body adjusts, these things will pass.

So the next goal is to get over the "fundo", feel better, and get on with life.

On the positive side we've lodged application with the Queensland Government to register the "Prince Charles Lung Transplant Support Group Inc". ( I love that term "inc."). We will then call for nominations for office bearers and get on with it. Second, we are finally getting somewhere as far as the water feature is concerned. I had to seek the support of the head of the Lung Transplant Unit, Dr Keith McNeil, but I expect we will be able to install the unit in the next month and have an official handover.

Want to make special mention of a few people. Phil, a fellow transplantee (just over four years ago) who is experiencing some health problems at present. Phil we're all with you and wish you well over the next few weeks. Also Geoff from Bundaberg, I hope you are hanging in there. And finally I can report that our President to be, Glenda Murray, has recovered well from her surgery and is looking better than I've seen her for a long time.

Anyway, it's showtime so I'm off. Talk again soon.

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were such a big fan of Grey's Anatomy. Did you always watch it or did those fancy ads finally break you?

You say that your blog isn't interesting but I think I learn more about you from this than our conversations (haha).