Friday, May 04, 2007

A Great Anniversary - But let's not forget



Amazing photo taken by Giorgio Raffaelli.


It has been wonderful to receive all the tributes and well wishes from my family on this, the first anniversary of my lung transplant. Sometimes I think they're speaking about a complete stranger.

But let's not forget that a little over a year ago, someone else's life support was turned off. He/She may already have been brain dead but a difficult decision had to be made. The result of that decision was that a heart stopped beating, lungs stopped breathing, kidneys, the pancreas, liver and gall bladder ceased functioning and a person was laid to rest. For the family who made this decision, this must be a very sad time.

Yet that person, again supported by family, had declared that his or her organs could be made available for transplant and within hours of ceasing to work, many if not all of them were soon functioning inside someone else. In this case, the lungs went to me and who knows how many others have benefited.

I think about the donor family every day and I know others I've met who've received transplants think the same. We think about their sadness. And we're so grateful for their courage in helping others, like me, to have a longer, better quality of life than would have been the case.

To Janyne, all of the comments already made on today's posts say it all. You have been fantastic even though life hasn't been a bed of roses these past years and there will be more challenges ahead. I thank you so much for your love, for caring for me so well under sometimes difficult circumstances. I cannot imagine how others, who don't have a loving spouse or children to support them, manage.

To the rest of my family, I am glad to be sharing tonight with you. We all know that I wouldn't be here but for the transplant. Thank you for your care, compassion, understanding if I get a bit "cranky", and general loving support.

Let's hope we are all together twelve months from now and that the year in between brings everything we hope for.

Ben

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the anniversary of your resurrection. You have endured a reasonably tough first year post transplant but still your here. I don't need to tell you there will be more ups and downs in the years to come but god willing you will come out the other end a stonger and better person. It's great to read the prose of your family and friends - it must bring tears to your eyes to read how important you are to others and in turn make you more determined to overcome any further adversity you will face. With any luck my little problems will be resolved next week and we can catch up over some lunch to celebrate this milestone and your upcoming birthday.

Good Luck and all the best to you and your family

Phil and Nina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.