Saturday, June 17, 2006

Latest Update

Another week has passed and I have to say I'm generally feeling great. Spent most of the week phoning or emailing friends and business associates letting them know I'm back on deck.

Thursday was check-up day at Prince Charles Hospital and all test results were fine. It's a long day because we're up at 5.15am for the hour and a half drive to Brisbane. Usually we don't leave the hospital until around 2.00pm. On the bright side, we got to meet some other transplantees and it's always interesting to swap stories and discuss progress especially at the different stages after transplant. One chap had a double lung, heart and liver transplant eleven weeks ago and he looked and felt terrific. Makes my little operation like a walk in the park. We're quickly becoming part of the "transplant family". Back next Wednesday (21st June) for a bronchoscopy and biopsy to make sure that there is no rejection. Apparently 40% of organ rejections do not show up in normal tests and a biopsy is necessary around once monthly to ensure things are OK.

Still building my strength and the hip is playing up but Dr Hopkins wants to delay hip replacement surgery for at least four months and ideally twelve months if possible. It's a juggling act between exercising and damaging the hip but we're doing OK at present. I am just so happy to be alive and well, a bit of pain is not really a bother.

If Nurse Cathy (dob 18th May) or the other Cathy (Cathy two degrees) is reading this I'd appreciate either contacting me on 0419 725 468 to let me know if she'll be in on Wednesday 21st or email at benbrian@iprimus.com.au. I'd love to catch up with all the wonderful staff in Intensive Care.

Will update again after the biopsy on Wednesday.

Take care,

Ben

No comments: